Learning a foreign language is a difficult task, particularly when the foreign language is as different from one’s own tongue as hieroglyphics is from modern English! But, there are some tips to make learning Chinese easier & quicker.
1. Select which language you want to start with. Many people may not know it at first but the ‘Chinese language’ refers to both Mandarin as well as Cantonese. Mandarin is easier to learn as it is more structured.
2. Begin with pronunciation. Some students may try and learn the script first. But, speaking the language is the easiest way to learn Chinese
3. Learn to recognize tones because Chinese is a tonal language. One of the important strategies for learning Chinese is to sensitize your ears to tones. Choose an audio-based program to learn proper tones in Chinese. Many students attempt to use the Pinyin straight away. The Chinese Pinyin has the phonetic pronunciation of all Chinese characters. However, the Pinyin is for advanced users because it is somewhat complicated.
4. Practice and memorize simple phrases. Trying to learn a language word by word is painstaking. Instead, learn phrases. When you learn phrases, language becomes easier to learn and you will also have a sense of accomplishment. Practice with a partner, if you can.
5. Revisit new words you have learnt from time to time. You can download some APP of learning Chinese. Use your spare time to learn Chinese words and phrases.
6. Expose yourself to it as much as you can. The more you expose yourself to a language, the more you will soak it up, naturally and quickly. If you are living in a place like Beijing, try and visit local markets and restaurants by yourself. Read newspapers in the Chinese language and Listen to Chinese podcast. Do not be self-conscious. It’s alright to make mistakes – and learn from these mistakes.
7. If you want to learn Chinese fast, find a native speaker to assist you. Not only will they teach you the right tones and pronunciation, they will also force you to practice your sketchy language on them. You can make Chinese friends or have a Chinese boyfriend/girlfriend, someone to talk to everyday in Chinese.
8. Take good advantage of free online Chinese Learning Resources.
9. Take the HSK test every year. This would force you to study Chinese. You can also see your progress of Chinese learning.
10. Enroll in a language course is the best. In the language school, you will study Chinese language by the professional method. This would help you to study Chinese much easier. If you have no chance to attend a Chinese course, you can also study by yourself diligent. Berlitz Australia offers 1-to-1 training classes that flexible, affordable and customizable to your needs. Please call us at 1300 118 881 to book a free trial class.